Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Embroidered Hoop Art

I don't know if it is because it is football season and Damon gives me no attention, but last night I went into a crafting binge. If this is any insight into what this football season is going to bring, then watch out.

My first project: Embroidery




 
My mom got me a slew of embroidery thread off of Craigslist for my birthday. I know most people, unless you are of my grandmother's age, don't ask for embroidery thread, but I wanted to try to a few different crafty projects.  I also managed to pick up some embroidery hoops and fabric at some yard sales on the cheap. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it all, but last night I figured it out.



First, I ironed the fabric, then dug out my embroidery hoops, needle, thread, and found a print of Pennsylvania on the computer.

Next, I stretched the fabric between the hoops and made it as taut as possible.

I then attempted to copy the Pennsylvania pattern onto the fabric. I used a pen-not a good idea. I think there is a fabric pen that dissolves if doused in water; maybe I need to make another run to Michaels.



Next, I turned to YouTube to teach myself how to make stitches.  I used a "back stitch" (trying to sound knowledgeable).  With all things in place, I went at it.

Charlie gave me moral support.

If you used a pen like I did, you will have pen marks ALL OVER the fabric.  The easiest way to remove the ink is with alcohol; nothing else seemed to work.  I wanted to keep it framed in the embroidery hoop so I cut the excess fabric off.



It may seem a bit complicated, but it's not. I don't think I have ever even sewed before. So, most of you first-timers should be fine. Give 'er a try!



.ray.


No comments: